THE NEW TESTAMENT SABBATH
Andrew N. Dugger
1. In what order does the Sabbath and the first day of the week stand in the New Testament?
"In the end of the Sabbath as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre," Matthew 28:1.
2. After the crucifixion, what day was kept by the women who followed Jesus?
"And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the Sabbath day according to the commandment," Luke 23:56.
3. "According to the commandment" what day is the Sabbath?
"But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God; in it thou shalt not do any work," Exodus 20:10.
4. Why is the seventh day the Sabbath?
"For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it," Exodus 20:11.
5. How did the holy women regard the first day of the week?
"Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them," Luke 24:1.
NOTE: In this reading we see the women brought the spices which they had prepared with which to embalm the body of Jesus, and this was on the first day of the week. In reading about the Sabbath day visit we find no spices were brought with which to embalm His body, and this alone should be proof that the holy women had respect for the Sabbath which God had blessed.
6. What was the custom of Christ in regard to the Sabbath?
"And He came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up for to read," Luke 4:16.
7. In predicting the overthrow of Jerusalem, and the necessity of fleeing from Judea prior to that time, what did he enjoin upon His disciples regarding the Sabbath?
"But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the Sabbath day," Matthew 24:20.
NOTE: The destruction of Jerusalem was accomplished by the Romans in the year 70 A.D. Therefore, the Sabbath was binding in that age by the commandment of Christ Himself.
8. On what day did the Jews meet in the synagogues for worship?
"For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every Sabbath day," Acts 15:21.
9. To whom was Paul especially commissioned to preach?
"But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way; for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear My name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel," Acts 9:15.
10. On what day did he and Barnabas go into the synagogue at Antioch?
"But when they departed from Perga, they came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the Sabbath and sat down," Acts 13:14.
11. After the sermon had been preached by Paul, and the Jews had left the synagogue, what did the Gentiles request of the apostles?
"And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath," verse 42.
12. What was the result of this request?
"And the next Sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God," verse 44.
13. On what day did the women at Philippi hold their prayer-meetings?
"And on the Sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont [or accustomed] to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted thither," Acts 16:13.
14. What was Paul's manner regarding the Sabbath?
"They came to Thessalonica, where was a synagogue of the Jews: and Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three Sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures," Acts 17:1, 2.
15. While at Corinth how did the apostle Paul spend the Sabbath?
"After these things Paul departed from Athens, and came to Corinth . . . and he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks [or Gentiles]," Acts 18:1-4.
16. How long did he continue at this work in this place?
"And he continued there a year and six months, teaching the word of God among them," verse 11.
17. Are we admonished to be followers of the apostle Paul as he was of Christ?
"Be ye followers of Me, even as I also am of Christ," I Corinthians 11:1.
18. Will we be in darkness if we follow Christ?
"Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world; he that followeth Me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life," John 8:12.
19. On what day does Paul say God rested from His works?
"For He spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all His works," Hebrews 4:4.
20. Does this same Sabbath rest remain for the people of God?
"There remaineth therefore a rest [margin, keeping of a Sabbath] to the people of God," Hebrews 4:9.
21. Should we be followers of God?
"Be ye therefore followers of God as dear children," Ephesians 5:1.
22. Should we cease from our works as God did from His?
"For he that is entered into His rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from His. Let us labor therefore, to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief," Hebrews 4:10, 11.
For other articles by various authors visit our download page
BACK TO ARTICLES
TRUTH ON THE WEB MINISTRIES